A ninth-grade student livestreamed himself shooting a classmate inside a Philippine university campus, then turned the gun on himself, ending both of their lives before terrified parents could even reach the gates.
Quick Take
- A shooting at Ateneo de Zamboanga University killed two students, including the suspected gunman, on the morning of August 18, 2026.
- Police say the shooter was a Grade 9 student who died after jumping from the fifth floor of a campus building following the attack.
- The other victim was a Grade 10 student; officials say the attack was livestreamed before it ended.
- The university declared a day of mourning and suspended classes as police and city officials worked to secure the campus.
What Happened Inside The Zamboanga Campus
The shooting broke out around 7:50 a.m. Tuesday inside Ateneo de Zamboanga University in Zamboanga City, on the southern island of Mindanao, while classes were already underway. Police Regional Office 9 spokesperson Maj. Shellamie Chang confirmed the time and location to local reporters shortly after officers arrived on scene. Zamboanga Mayor Khymer Olaso also confirmed the incident publicly within hours, telling reporters the shooting had left two people dead, one of them the shooter himself.
Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla later gave the clearest account of how the gunman died. He told reporters the Grade 9 student, classified as a child in conflict with the law, jumped from the fifth floor of a campus building after the shooting. Police separately confirmed the other person killed was a Grade 10 student. Reuters reported that the gunman took his own life after opening fire, matching accounts from multiple Philippine outlets covering the scene that morning.
Campus Lockdown And The School’s Response
University President Fr. Ernald Andal confirmed there was no longer an active shooter and said no additional deaths or injuries had been reported beyond the two fatalities. “As of now, we confirm that there are two fatalities,” Andal said. “There are no more active shooters.” His statement came as parents rushed to the school to collect their children. City Police Director Fidel Fortaleza said officers cleared the threat by 8:40 a.m., roughly fifty minutes after the first shots were reported.
Ateneo de Zamboanga declared August 19 a day of mourning and prayer, canceling classes campus-wide. School officials also urged the public to stop sharing unverified photos and video clips circulating online, warning that doing so could hinder the police investigation and cause further harm to grieving families. The Zamboanga City Police Office said it would carry out a full inquiry into how the student obtained a firearm and brought it onto school grounds undetected.
A Pattern Philippine Schools Are Struggling To Break
This is not an isolated tragedy. Just two months earlier, in June 2026, two students aged 14 and 15 opened fire at a high school in Tacloban, killing three classmates and wounding several more with a Glock pistol and a revolver. That attack pushed Philippine officials to review school safety measures nationwide and prompted a senator to investigate the role online gaming and extremist forums may play in radicalizing young students.
https://twitter.com/KailashVashi/status/2089671475863392638
Bullying remains a documented and widespread problem in Philippine schools, which experts say often sits beneath these outbursts of violence. A Philippine Senate summary found 522 bullying cases reported through a national student helpline between November 2022 and February 2025 alone, with physical altercations the most common complaint. That backdrop does not explain any single shooting, but it does show why lawmakers keep circling back to school culture and student mental health after each new attack.
Zamboanga’s mayor has already signaled where local leaders may turn next, calling for tighter restrictions on violent video games in the wake of this latest shooting. Whether that becomes policy or fades after headlines move on is an open question. What is not in question is the grief now settling over a Catholic university campus that spent Tuesday morning locked down, and a community forced once again to bury a teenager killed by another teenager’s hand.
Sources:
youtube.com, instagram.com, tribune.net.ph, facebook.com, x.com, aljazeera.com, en.wikipedia.org, 21stgenedtechtools.com
© restoreamericanglory.com 2026. All rights reserved.















